tanka

tanka--
small songs I sing
to join
my voice to other voices
hidden in the grass

Saturday, March 1, 2014

spectrum



Hypothetical

My son, age 30, sits close beside me, copying for the millionth time the Fujita Scale of tornado strength. The scale only goes to F-6, but he insists that I describe for him the theoretical damage of an F-7,  an F-12 . . .   

Browsing the science news on my laptop, I come across a journal called Medical Hypotheses. Doctors speculate that a certain growth protein abundant in breast milk might protect at-risk infants from developing autism. 

fourteen months
suckling my baby,
our gazes locked in love . . .
yet still the wild winds
tumble through his brain


                            ~Haibun Today 8:1, March 2014


his paintings
purple, indigo and rose
with bolts 
of lemon lightning—
autism spectrum

                            ~Ribbons 9:2, Fall 2013

                            






2 comments:

  1. Jenny, okay, I got chills in reading this. Then, when paired up with your second tanka, double chills. V. well done.

    ReplyDelete